Changing the Network Location Type in Windows 7
You will be required to select network location type in Windows 7 when you first connects that computer to network, this will automatically set the appropriate firewall and security settings on computer.
However you are advised to understand which network location type you should use before connecting computer to network to better secure your computer. Also you should change the location when you connect to different networks as needed. This is because hacker can be everywhere, so have to be extra careful.
Here are different network location types you can set on windows 7, do take note on the difference.
Home network - This is the most open type! You can choose this type for home networks or when you know and trust the people and devices on the network. Computers on a home network can belong to a homegroup. Network discovery is turned on for home networks by default, which allows you to see other computers and devices on the network and allows other network users to see your computer.
Work network - Mainly used for small office or other workplace networks. Network discovery is enabled by default too, which allows you to see other computers and devices on a network and allows other network users to see your computer, but you can't create or join a homegroup.
Public network - This is the safest type! You should select this option for networks in public places (such as coffee shops or airports). This location is designed to keep your computer from being visible to other computers around you and to help protect your computer from any malicious software from the Internet. HomeGroup is not available on public networks, and network discovery is turned off. You should also choose this option if you're connected directly to the Internet without using a router, or if you have a mobile broadband connection.
Domain network - This option is used for domain networks such as those at enterprise workplaces. This type of location is controlled by your network administrator and can't be selected or changed.
This is the way to change the location:
1) Go to Start and click on Control Panel.
2) Proceed to click View network status and tasks in Control Panel window.
3) Network and Sharing Center window will appear, proceed to check existing location type (Home network in this case). If you need to change it, just click on that location.
4) Set Network Location window will appear, let say I want to change it to public network as I try to connect to public hotspot at airport, I just click on Public network.
5) You will get confirmation on newly selected location type, click Close.
6) If you go back to Network and Sharing Center, you will find out the location is changed. That’s it! You have done!
Easy Way to Check WAN IP of Cable/DSL Connection
How to Control Bandwidth on Wireless Router
How to Connect to Wireless Network in Windows 7
Return to top of "Changing the Network Location Type in Windows 7"!!