After configuring your network router, let’s start to configure computer / notebook that installed with Windows XP.
Installing Network Card Driver
Network card driver is need to be installed before using it. Check the vendor installation manual that comes with your network card before installing network card driver. Here is typical way for installing network card driver:
1) Click Start and click Control Panel.
2) Control Panel window will appear, then double click Add Hardware icon. Simply follow step-by-step instructions prompted by system for adding card driver. Kindly check your network card driver status to confirm it’s installed properly.
When you configure computer, you will also need to configure network card for your computer to communicate with other computer or network devices. This communication method is called protocol. You will need to have TCP/IP protocol and other Windows items installed on your computer in order to make it work correctly.
1) Go to Start and click on Control Panel.
2) Control Panel window will appear. Double click on Network Connections.
3) Network Connections window will appear. Right click correct Local Area Connection by identifying correct network card and click Properties.
4) In the Local Area Connection Properties, you need to have following items installed:
Client for Microsoft Networks – Allows your computer to access resources in a Microsoft network.
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks – Allows your computer to share files and printers in Microsoft network.