How to Disable or Enable Network Adapter in Windows 7
How to disable or enable network adapter in Windows 7? This is fairly simple and handy task. Here are some scenarios that you might want to perform this task:
- Disable and re-enable network adapter can be used to reconnect your computer to network sometimes if suddenly it fails connecting to network. This approach especially works on wireless adapter if it fails to detect any available wireless network initially.
- Enable the network adapter (wireless or wired) in order to connect that adapter to the network if it’s in disable mode.
- Disable unused network adapter if there are different network adapters (wireless or wired) installed on your computer or laptop.
Let’s explore how to disable and enable network adapter here:
1) Locate the network icon which is located at lower right corner as shown below, click on it and proceed to click Open Network and Sharing Center.
Note: You can also open this Network and Sharing Center by clicking on Start -> Control Panel -> View network status and tasks
2) Once Network and Sharing Center windows is opened, click on Change adapter settings.
3) Here you will be able to locate wired or wireless network adapters available on your computer, you can go ahead to right click the adapter icon to enable or disable it. That’s it and you're done!
Example 1: Let say if you wish to connect your computer to wireless network only, and so you can right click your wired network adapter (Local Area Connection) and click on Disable to disable it since you are not going to use it.
Example 2: If you need to connect your computer to network with wired connection later, come back to this network adapter window, right click your wired network adapter (Local Area Connection) again and click on Enable to enable it. You might also notice that Disabled wording is tied to the adapter if it’s in disable mode.
Checking Network or Wireless Adapter Driver Status in Windows 7
How to Connect Two Computers Wireless in Windows 7
Network Troubleshooting in Windows 7
Return to top of "How to Disable or Enable Network Adapter in Windows 7"!!