How to Network Two Computers Using Dial Up Internet Connection
How to network two computers using dial up internet connection, so that the dial up connection can be shared with other computer? It’s not difficult to do it if you have network adapter on both computers!
However there are some disadvantages by using this approach. Firstly, the main computer that shares dial up connection needs to be up whenever second computer needs to have access to Internet. Secondly, the Internet connection performance might not be that good after sharing since dial up connection only support up to 56Kbps of bandwidth. The better way is to subscribe DSL or Cable broadband Internet connection, after that set up a network by using a wireless or wired Ethernet router. If you are interested, can take a look on this wireless network or wired home network setup tutorial.
Anyway, if dial up connection is the only way you have to connect to Internet and you wish to have this type of sharing, then you can still do it. The main idea is that you need to enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) feature on main computer (ICS host computer) which is the one connected to Internet and later connect to the other computer with wireless or wired connection in order to share Internet connection.
This is how to network two computers using dial up Internet by using Windows 7 as example, first you need to enable Internet Connection Sharing feature on ICS host computer.
1) Go to Start and click on Control Panel.
2) Proceed to click View network status and tasks in Control Panel window.
3) Network and Sharing Center will appear, click on Change adapter settings.
4) Here it will show different network adapters or connections available on computer, and you should right click on the dial up connection and click on Properties.
5) Dial up connection properties window will appear, go to Sharing tab and tick on Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection check box. You can also tick on Enable a dial-up connection whenever a computer on my network attempts to access the Internet check box if you want.
6) Now let’s go to Networking tab, here you should un-tick File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks and Client for Microsoft Networks check boxes to better secure this computer. Finally click OK and you have enabled that Internet Connection Sharing feature.
7) Once you have shared that dial up connection, it will be shown with Shared word. It's ready to be used to network two computers using dial up Internet.
8) On the other computer which is connected to ICS host computer with wireless ad hoc or wired connection, you need to configure its network adapter to obtain IP address and DNS settings automatically as shown here.
9) Once you have established dial up connection on ICS host computer, the other computer will be assigned IP address in the 192.168.137.x range and able to access Internet through that ICS host computer.
Note: If you have problem to network two computers using dial up Internet connection, make sure there is no firewall blocking on ICS host computer.
Modem Usage for Internet Connection
Connect 2 Computers Directly Using Crossover Cable
How to Connect Two Computers Wireless in Windows 7
Return to top of "How to Network Two Computers Using Dial Up Internet Connection"!!