Quick Windows 10 VPN Client Setup
Windows 10 VPN client
is a built-in VPN client in Windows 10 which can be configured quickly to connect to work or home VPN server in order to secure the connectivity with encryption. You will be able to minimize the hacking or other cyber security risks and worry less whenever you connect to company or home network from public place (cafe, restaurant, airport, etc.) if it's done via VPN connection.
The supported VPN protocols by this Windows 10 VPN client are PPTP, L2TP/IPsec, SSTP and IKEv2. Please note that a VPN profile is required before you are able to connect to VPN server to establish a secure and encrypted connection.
Ok! Let's follow these step-by-step instructions to create a VPN client profile in Windows 10:
1) First, right click the network icon in lower right corner (taskbar area) of Windows desktop screen, and click on Open Network & Internet settings
2) When the Network & Internet settings window appears, go ahead to click VPN
as shown below.
3) Go ahead to click on Add a VPN connection
You can also enable the Allow VPN over metered networks
and Allow VPN while roaming
options if need to.
4) On this window you will need to provide details of the VPN server that you would like to connect to. Don't forget to click Save
- Select Windows (built-in)
as this is the only option.
- Give your VPN connection a name.
Server name or address
- Key in the server name or IP address of the VPN server.
- Choose the correct VPN typy for your VPN connection. You can select Automatic
if not sure.
-Point to Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP)
-L2TP/IPsec with certificate
-L2TP/IPsec with pre-shared key
-Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol (SSTP)
Type of sign-in info
- Choose the correct sign-in info for your VPN connection.
-User name and password
User name (optional)
- Key in your VPN user name as needed.
- Key in your VPN password as needed.
5) Once it's done, you will be able to find your VPN profile on VPN window. You can click the VPN profile and click on Connect
to establish the VPN conenction.
Your computer has to be connected to a wired or wireless network before able to establish a VPN connection.
You can click on Advanced options
to change the connection details.
6) You will be able to find it in network list once it's connected successfully.
How to Set Up PPTP VPN Server in Windows 7
Windows 7 PPTP VPN Client Setup
Easy Way to Check Computer Security Status in Microsoft Windows
Return to top of "Quick Windows 10 VPN Client Setup"!!